Make your pledge here to be an advocate for the youngest children in Guilford County.
Today, more than 1 in 3 children in Guilford County enter kindergarten not literacy-ready. One in 5 will need significant remediation in order to get on track with their peers — that’s 1,000 children each year. And children who start behind have a difficult time catching up.
To change the tide, our community has selected 10 key priorities to ensure that each child enters kindergarten ready for what’s ahead. Click on the priorities below to learn more.
We all have a role to play
Everyone plays an important role in getting our children ready for school, ready for life. Here’s how you can help now:
Data & Resources
- Overview of Ready for School, Ready for Life (PDF) to see how the work started and what we’re doing today to build a more responsive, innovative early childhood system.
- Pathway to Success and Framework for Change (PDF) developed by our community that guides the initiative’s efforts.
Guilford County Data
- Video showing a snapshot of how we’re doing in Guilford County today.
- Deep Dive: Quantitative Data about the State of Young Children (birth to age 5) in Guilford County (January 2016). (PDF)
- Qualitative Data: Family Photovoice Project (PDF) featuring nine Guilford County families and their stories about their experiences of raising young children in Guilford County.
- White paper with summary of feedback from 230+ families. (Coming soon)
100-Day Challenge Team Work
- 100-Day Challenge Team Booklet (PDF). From February – May 2016, twelve 100-Day Challenge Teams made up of 146 committed parents, community volunteers and representatives from 44 agencies/organizations — worked together to jump-start system change in Guilford County. Each aligns with our Pathway to Success and Framework for Change.
- Click below to see detailed descriptions of each team’s work, including links to resources and work products.
- Parenting Education
- Breastfeeding-Friendly Community
- PreK to Kindergarten Transition (Policy)
- PreK to Kindergarten Transition (Communication)
- Developmental Screenings
- Electronic Referral Network (in partnership with the Family Success Center)
- Early Literacy
- Safe & Stable Homes/Financial Literacy
- Building Public Will
- Social-Emotional Support for Early Childhood Educators
- Access to High-Quality, Affordable Child Care
- Families as Change Agents
- Want to see how the teams got here? Check out our blog at the mid-point of the 100-Day Challenge!