If you have a child who is five or younger, we need you! Join the Family Action Learning Team to help make decisions about the kinds of changes needed in Guilford County. To take away barriers to participation, child care will be provided. Contact Rachael at RachaelB@GetReadyGuilford.org for more information.
Ready for School, Ready for Life
Together, we’re transforming the early childhood system so each Guilford County child enters kindergarten ready for what’s ahead.
The Goal: Each child ready
Why it matters
The majority of brain development occurs during the first 2,000 days of life — from the time children are born until they reach kindergarten. Children who have positive, enriching early childhood experiences are more likely to:
- Read at grade level by third grade
- Graduate from high school
- Have higher paying jobs and contribute more in taxes
- Life longer, healthier lives
Today, more than 1 in 3 children in Guilford County enter kindergarten not literacy-ready. One in 5 will need significant remediation in order to get on track with their peers — that’s 1,000 children each year. And children who start behind have a difficult time catching up.
A Guide to Get More Children Ready for School
Hundreds of community members worked together to build a Pathway & Framework for Change (PDF) to inform and guide our collective work. In addition to local data (PDF) that shows where we are today, the pathway and framework are based upon:
- Input from hundreds of families who reflect the diversity of Guilford County.
- Feedback from service providers, leaders of agencies/organizations, and leaders from other Guilford County initiatives
- Guidance from business leaders, policy makers, faith leaders, agency/organization leaders, and funders who agree that having children arrive ready for school is important to the future of Guilford County.
Our Community Goals
- Getting more children on the pathway to success starting with prenatal care through reading on grade level by third grade
- Creating a community where all families are supportive and supported.
- Building a responsive, innovative early childhood system to meet the needs of families today and in the future.
Watch this video to learn about the state of Guilford County’s young children today.
The Work of 100-Day Challenge Teams
Everyone has a role to play
How will change happen? It’s going to take all of us working together.
- Families are leading the way. Families with young children offer important perspectives that can lead change in our community. Who knows better what’s working and not working when it comes to raising children in Guilford County?
- Organization & agency leaders are collaborating to eliminate barriers that get in the way of children being ready for kindergarten. Committed people from organizations and agencies from across Guilford County are working together in new ways to get better results. Collaboration is hard and it can be messy, but going at it alone simply doesn’t get the results our community wants and needs.
- Early childhood professionals, service providers, business leaders, faith leaders, policy makers, and community members are powerful agents of positive change. All of us have an important role to play in getting children ready for school and life. Check out the vision to see where you want to make your mark. (PDF)
- 100-Day Challenge Teams. On February 4, sixteen 100-Day Challenge Teams launched. These cross-functional teams selected specific areas of the vision, and will develop and implement strategies within the next 100 days that will create positive change. This is a learning process for the teams and the entire community–you can watch their progress on our Facebook page and on this website.
Be part of the change….Get Involved Now!
Everyone has an important role in getting our children ready for school, ready for life. Here’s how you can help now:
Be part of the change
Tools & Resources
- See the story of how Ready for School, Ready for Life emerged, the work since then, and how we’ll build a more responsive, innovative early childhood system.
Local data (PDF)
- Learn about the state of young children and families in Guilford County today (as of January 31, 2016).
The Vision (PDF)
- See the Pathway to Success and Framework for Change our community built together that will guide Guilford County’s efforts to make sure each child enters kindergarten ready for school and for life.
- For two months, nine families met to share photos and stories about their experiences of raising young children in Guilford County. Together, they’ve made recommendations for what our community can do to help more families get their children ready for kindergarten, and they’re working together to create change and improve their neighborhoods and communities. Read their stories and see how you can get involved to support families, be supportive of children and build a more responsive system.
White paper with summary of family meetings (coming soon)
- From June through September 2015, the Ready for School, Ready for Life team met with held during the summer of 2015. (Coming soon)